Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I know you're probably sick of them, but hey look, more apples!

At the risk of driving you all nuts with too many apple related posts, I found a really nifty and delicious recipe for applesauce.

My mom and I wanted to use up the leftovers from our pie-making session, so we made applesauce about a week ago. It turned out so well that I needed to make another, bigger batch because the kids and I went through our half in about two days.

Our version of the is recipe is adapted from Ina Garten's baked applesauce recipe.

The original called for the zest and juice of two oranges, but with very few exceptions I've found that I just can't stand orange in recipes, so we left that out. Also, after the original batch, I decided to tone down the allspice and the cinnamon just a tad. The cinnamon was okay in the first one, but it was waaaaay too allspicy. Is that a word? Anyway, so yeah, scaled that down by half. The end result was yummy, and dead easy to make. Also, after tasting this batch I would scale back the cooking time a bit too, it turned out sort of dry, which is interesting because I didn't know that applesauce could be dry.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

Dead Easy Baked Applesauce
- 6 lbs of baking apples (I used Jonagold both times)
- 4 TBSP of butter 
- The zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (which I always forget to do.) 

Peel, core, and slice your apples. This step becomes really easy and fun (especially if you make the kids do it) when you have one of these. I love mine. Intensely. The first time I made apple pie I didn't have one. It was a sad, sad day.


Throw all of your apples and the rest of the ingredients into a dutch oven or enameled cast iron pot. Give it all a good stir and pop it in the oven. 


Now, go read a book or something for about an hour. 

I opened the pot periodically just to mix everything together. This also had the side benefit of making the house smell ridiculously good. 

Check it after an hour. The apples should be extremely soft and the mixture should be somewhat juicy (this is where I overcooked mine.) 

If you like your applesauce lumpy like we do, all you need to do when it comes out of the oven is give it a good stir. If you like it smooth, just whisk it really well until all of the apples are broken up.

Tada!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, I really would.