Saturday, July 5, 2008

Independence Day

I hope everyone had a great Fourth, I know we did.

Being from Orange County, I can't tell you what an absolute pleasure it was to be able to buy and set off fireworks.
Us Californians are so deprived.
Oh my goodness, my seven-year-old and I went to buy them, and we were like kids in a candy store. I asked the man running the booth which ones were good for first-timers like us to set off, and he kindly pointed us in the right direction. Thank God. If we were left to our own devices we probably would have blown ourselves up.

The day was spent in anticipation of the fireworks. We had gone to the town fireworks show the evening before, and it was fantastic. Samantha was absolutely enthralled and not one bit scared. She sat in my lap and stared up at the display, laughing and clapping.

Alex had a fantastic time too. All of our Fourth of July's had been spent at my mother-in-law's house watching several shows from far away. This was his first up close and personal fireworks show.

Of course setting off fireworks in our cul-de-sac was the ultimate. We had so much fun. One of Alex's friends and her parents came over to watch as well. The kids set off smoke bombs and snakes first, and then we brought out the big guns.

I thought that I'd start small and set of the street roses first. Yikes. One of them misfired and shot straight off to the side instead of spinning in place like it was supposed to. Thank God I didn't have it facing the other direction, it would have shot right into the middle of everyone. Shudder.


The last ones we shot off weren't just fountains, they actually shot up into the air like honest to goodness fireworks.

It was almost more than this deprived Californian gal could handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, I really would.